Side Sewer Repair Permit Process
The repair of an existing side sewer requires a permit from the Central Contra Costa Sanitary District (CCCSD). The work may be performed by the property owner or by a properly licensed contractor who has been registered with CCCSD. The property owner may only repair the house sewer portion of the side sewer. Any work within a CCCSD easement or public right of way must be performed by a properly licensed contractor. Generally, detailed plans are not needed, however, a completed application with a sketch of the proposed work is required. All side sewer repair work done outside of the building will be inspected by CCCSD inspectors. More information is available on the CCCSD website (www.centralsan.org) or by calling the CCCSD Permit Counter at (925) 229-7371.
- "Side sewer" is the privately owned and maintained sewer which connects the plumbing system of the building to the public sewer. The side sewer begins at and includes the connection to the public sewer and terminates at the point of connection to the building plumbing system. “Side sewer” includes the lateral sewer and the house sewer.
- "Lateral sewer"is that portion of the side sewer which is within the public right-of-way or CCCSD easement.
- "House sewer" is that portion of the side sewer from the lateral sewer to its connection to the building plumbing system.
- "Public sewer" is a main sewer which may have one or more side sewers connected to it. These sewers are normally 8 inches or larger in diameter.
- The applicant completes an Application for Side Sewer Repair and provides a plan or a sketch of the work to be performed.
- The application information is entered into the CCCSD system for the calculation of applicable fees, and future issuance of the required CCCSD permit.
- Once applicable CCCSD fees have been paid, CCCSD will issue a permit for the side sewer repair work to a properly licensed contractor, hired by the applicant, and registered with CCCSD. The CCCSD permit will be issued only at the CCCSD permit counter. The contractor will be responsible for all necessary side sewer work.
- Any side sewer work performed without a valid CCCSD permit will be subject to removal, reconstruction, and additional fees.
- If the property owner wishes to perform their own side sewer work, they can perform only that work which is located within their property. Specific requirements for "property owner” work are summarized in the “Property Owner Permit” handout.
- CCCSD inspection shall be arranged at least one (1) business day prior to performing any work. The CCCSD inspection team can be reached at (925) 229-7373.
- Sewer work may begin on the date of the scheduled CCCSD inspection. It is the responsibility of the permittee to arrange for the necessary CCCSD inspections as the work
progresses. Work performed without CCCSD inspection will be subject to removal and reconstruction.