Property Owner Permit
A property owner and or the property owner's employees may install, alter, or repair the house sewer on the property. This work requires a property owner permit from the Central Contra Costa Sanitary District (CCCSD). Side sewer work located in a CCCSD easement or public right of way may not be done by the property owner and must be permitted and performed by a properly licensed contractor who has been registered with CCCSD. CCCSD permits are required for all side sewer work performed outside of the bulding. Plumbing work within the foundation line may be subject to a buildingpermit issued by the city or county building department. More information is available on the CCCSD website (www.centralsan.org) or by calling the CCCSD Permit Counter at (925) 229-7371.
- "Side sewer" is the privately owned and maintained sewer which connects the plumbing system of the building to the public sewer. The side sewer begins at and includes the connection to the public sewer and terminates at the point of connection to the building plumbing system. "Side sewer" includes the lateral sewer and the house sewer.
- "Lateral sewer" is that portion of the side sewer which is within the public right-of-way or CCCSD easement.
- "House sewer" is that portion of the side sewer from the lateral sewer to its connection to the building plumbing system.
- "Public sewer" is a main sewer which may have one or more side sewers connected to it. These sewers are normally 8 inches or larger in diameter.
Conditions for Property Owner Sewer Work
- The property owner shall complete an application for the proposed sewer work, incuding a plan or a sketch of the work to be performed. A separate "Application for Property Owner Permit" shall also be completed.
- The application information is entered into the CCCSD system for the calculation of applicable fees, and future issuance of the required CCCSD permit.
- Only the property owner can be issued a CCCSD property owner permit. Contractors engaged by the property owner may not work under a property owner permitand shall secure a separate permit from CCCSD for their portion of the work.
- The property owner and/or their employees may perform only that work which is located within their property. Side sewer work located in a CCCSD easement or public right of way may not be done by the property owner and must be permitted and performed by a properly licensed contractor who has been registered with CCCSD.
- CCCSD will issue a permit for the side sewer work once all of the applicable fees have been paid. Work performed without a vialid CCCSD permit will be subject to removal, reconstruction, and additional fees.
- When the CCCSD permit is issued to the property owner, a free “Property Owner Sewer Work Information” booklet will be provided which outlines several CCCSD specification
elements for sewer design and construction.
- A property owner permit requires a preconstruction meeting with a CCCSD Inspector. This meeting must be scheduled before any work is performed, including digging
- CCCSD inspection shall be arranged at least one (1) business day prior to performing any work. The CCCSD inspection team can be reached at (925) 229-7373.
- Sewer work may begin on the date of the scheduled CCCSD inspection. It is the responsibility of the property owner to arrange for the necessary CCCSD inspections as the
work progresses. Work performed without CCCSD inspection will be subject to removal and reconstruction.
Property Owner Permit - printable version